Back to School: Why You Should Learn Web Standards Now

In our 'Back to School' series we take the liberty of stepping back and taking a look at the big picture of Siebel Open UI.

Today, it's time to talk about the learning curve associated with Open UI.

Example of a learning curve. Source: Dries Buytaert

The first thing I did when Siebel Open UI became available to me (in fall 2012) and I realized that JavaScript, HTML, jQuery and CSS are its building blocks, was that I researched some good books on jQuery and CSS and ordered them. Personally, I have always learned faster from a book than from online tutorials. Those books have served me well and with 2 years of practice on my back I feel rather confident but not yet a full-grown web developer. But I can combine my Siebel developer skills with my newly acquired web developer skills quite effectively (so I hope).

Why did I think that JavaScript, HTML, jQuery and CSS are mandatory skills? Why didn't I have those skills already?

The answer to the first question is: Open UI is built using those web standards. Period.
The second question is personal and I for myself had some basic JavaScript, HTML and CSS skills but no clue about jQuery. So the answer is: Because I didn't have to learn it previously.

I believe the typical Siebel developer - even 'vets' with more than 10 years experience - are pretty blank when it comes to modern web standards. Oh of course, you write eScript (lots of it) so you know JavaScript. Well, honestly, you don't. A classic Siebel developer does not really need to use HTML5, CSS3 and jQuery magic every day, so why learn it?

Why should you start to learn now?

Because Siebel Open UI is here to stay. It is the user interface of choice simply because IE8 is running out of support (and Siebel ActiveX with it) or because you or your customer want to get future-proof (BYOD, mobile computing, etc...).

So if you haven't done so already, start browsing for books, tutorials, classes - whatever your preferred way of learning is - and start learning.

On the Open UI page, you will find some useful links for further reading (and learning).

have a nice day

@lex

תגובות

פוסטים פופולריים מהבלוג הזה

FINS Data Transfer Utilities

SBL-BPR-00191: The rowId of the active row of the primary buscomp '%1', '%2', does not match the Primary Id

Profile Attributes and Open UI